You've paid for your trip and are ready to take off. What if your pre-departure COVID-19 test comes back positive? If you now need to cancel your trip, will you get your money back from the hotel/airline/cruise provider, or will they provide credit for future travel? If so, you don't need insurance. If those expenses are non-refundable though, you should buy Goose Trip Cancellation & Trip Interruption Insurance.
We have several ways you can get this coverage from Goose:
- Included in Goose's COVID-19 plan
- Trip Cancellation (with $25,000 Trip Interruption automatically included)
- Trip Interruption only
1) Included in Goose's COVID-19 plan:
- Some Trip Cancellation coverage is bundled into our annual COVID-19 policy, but in order for it to cover your next trip it must have been purchased within 72 hours of you paying for your trip, and before any cancellation penalties are imposed.
- Maximum coverage is $2,500 for Trip Cancellation per person, per trip, and the same coverage limits are available for Trip Interruption (this kicks in after you've left home). The situations that can be covered are listed in the 'Covered Risks' section of the policy wording, and must be COVID-related.
- Includes up to $200/day to a max of $2,800 for additional meals & accommodations related to a quarantine order prior to your return home.
2) Buy stand-alone Trip Cancellation (and get $25,000 Trip Interruption automatically included):
- Our other Trip Cancellation coverage is available either by itself as a stand-alone coverage, or can be added to an Emergency Travel Medical policy. It can be purchased for a single trip, or added to an annual multi-trip plan.
- The coverage limits available for this are higher and adjustable ($1,000 to $5,000 per person in the app - contact a Goose agent if higher limits are required).
- This coverage does not have a limitation requiring you to purchase the insurance within a certain time frame, but it's always better to buy it as soon as you pay for your trip.
- The only COVID-related situation this coverage will apply to is if the insured traveller (or their travel companion) receives a positive COVID diagnosis which interrupts travel plans. Other, non-covid related situations that can be covered are listed in the wordings.
- Trip cancellation coverage won't be available to purchase if your departure date is within 7 days.
- The stand-alone trip cancellation coverage is often less expensive than buying the annual COVID-19/pandemic policy.
3) Trip Interruption
- This protection against unexpected travel costs begins from the day of departure until you return to your home province.
- Includes up to $350/day to a max of $1,500 for additional meals & accommodations related to a quarantine order prior to your return home.
- Other covered risks include sickness or death of a family member, certain employment situations and more.
- Does not provide coverage for cancellation before your departure date
For questions related to specific 'what if?' scenarios, please refer to Goose's policy wordings; all of the covered events (and exclusions) are listed in Goose's policy wordings, which can be found here.
Can I insure my trip if I used travel reward points?
The company does not insure the cash value of any travel costs that have been booked and paid for with points, Air Miles, Aeroplan, or any other type of travel reward program.
Does the trip interruption cover us if one or both test positive for Covid and is refused boarding coming home?
Would Trip Cancellation or Interruption cover me if there is a Travel Advisory in place?
Article is closed for comments.