Travel insurance provided by Goose covers most stable pre-existing medical conditions.
We offer an optional ‘Unstable Pre-existing Condition’ coverage for up to $250,000 in potential medical expenses (per traveller) for any condition deemed ‘unstable’.
Please be aware that any condition which arises or worsens in the 7 days prior to travel will not be covered, regardless of whether or not this rider is purchased.
How do I know if my condition is considered ‘stable’?
The period during which your medical condition must have been stable (the required 'stability period') varies depending on your age. For Medical insurance:
- Travellers 59 years old and younger should purchase this additional coverage ONLY if travelling for 35 days or more outside of their home province. Coverage is already included for unstable conditions for younger travellers taking shorter trips (under 35 days)
- Travellers 60-74: conditions must be stable for 180 days, or it’s considered ‘unstable’
- Travellers 75 and older: 365 days of stability is required, or it’s considered ‘unstable’
What makes a condition ‘unstable’? If any of the following occur:
- If the condition gets worse, as determined by your Doctor
- If any new symptoms appear or something new is discovered
- If any existing symptoms become more severe or occur more frequently
- If medical treatment changes
- If there is any alteration in medication
- If any new medical treatment is recommended or received.
As always, please refer to the policy wordings or speak with a licensed Goose representative for further details at 1-888-374-6673.